Friday, October 10, 2008

October 8th-Platoro to CO/NM border




Stopped in Platoro to grab a gallon of water at the lodge/store. The maps have reported that all water (ground and tap) in Platoro is unsafe to drink. So fortunately they had gallons of filtered water for sale. I also grabbed some donuts.

Headed down the road to Horca. Which was also a town with nothing more than a Mexican food restaurant/store. So I grabbed some chicken enchiladas and cookies and headed up the pass.

After descending down toward the the NM border, I crossed a set of narrow guage railroad tracks. Turns out the narrow width was used in the mountainous regions during the gold rush since the narrow tracks allow for a tighter railbed and tighter turns through canyons. They were also more prone to derailment. There's your history lesson for the day.

So just after crossing into NM. I found a nice place to camp under a large tree, and hopefully in a spot that would catch some early morning sunshine. My new #1 criteria for campsite selection as it is freaking cold at 10,000' until you can get some sunshine.

I've attached some photos of the ice on my bike and campsite in the early morning.

No comments: