Friday, October 10, 2008

October 7th-Del Norte Colorado to Stunner Camground-Platoro, CO





Headed out early with visions of making the biggest climb of the trip (4000' of vertical with a 11,900' summit) my bitch.

So about 1000' from the summit I see a very disconcerting sign indicating that the road I'm on is closed for the next month. Hmmmmm. Checked my map and no clear detour option was available.

So I kept climbing, hoping that I could guilt someone into letting me through given the impressiveness of my effort. But about 500' from the summit a couple of dirt bikers were coming back down the mountain (they'd passed me going up earlier in the morning). So I flagged them down to get the scoop.

So what I found out was this: They were a couple from Toronto riding dirt bikes on the same route I was on. They also informed me that a reroute was posted to the internet a couple of weeks ago. Does me alot of good when I've been riding for 6 weeks now.

So fortunately, the gave me the details of the reroute which only added like 15 miles and 1000' of climbing. Right before the summit of blowout pass (11,800'), the road split without any markers. As I stopped for a moment to determine the best route, I looked down and saw the note which I've attached to this post.

Shortly after the summit, another note awaited me. Those Canadians are pretty good folks.

So after an ugly descent I rolled into Stunner campground exhausted about 5pm. I fell asleep at 8 pm and slept soundly until 6:30.

No comments: