Thursday, October 16, 2008

October 15th-National Forest to Grants, NM

Headed out early today to make the 72 miles to Grants, NM. Today is my last big climb of the trip (2500') and my last day at over 9000'.

Gorgeous views of the deserts all morning. Almost grabbed some water out of a cattle trough because it looked pretty clean, but decided to make what I have last. I've started carrying alot more water now that I'm in the desert and what water there is is a bit suspect.

About 2pm I began the climb over the large Mesa between me and Grants. On the way up I left the scrub brush of the desert and re-entered the pine and aspen trees for what is probably the last time on this trip.

As soon as I hit the pine trees I started seeing cars parked in strange places on the side of the road at campsites, etc.

Then I realized that they were locals picking pinon. Which I learned is Cuba is the pine nut which is pretty scarce this year and is sold and bought by just about every grocery store and curbside merchant in this area. Signs everywhere read "we buy pinon".

I crested the summit a little after 3pm and enjoyed the 20 mile decent (mostly) into Grants. Dropping from 9000' to 6500' in Grants, NM.

I managed to find an RV park that allowed campers. I slept within 100' of I-40 and was lulled to sleep by the sounds of passing semis.

No comments: