Friday, October 10, 2008

October 6th-Sargents, CO to Del Norte, CO



Well, the snow never materialized, but yesterday's rest day was welcome nonetheless. Left early this morning very eager to put in some miles. After turning off the highway around mile 15, I was greeted with a nice tail wind which helped push me over the first pass by 1:00. So I pressed on and cleared the second pass by 4:00.

This put me at about 80 miles for the day, but the weather was terrific and with 35 miles to Del Norte, I figured with a 2000' drop and a tail wind, I could make it by 6:30.

So I rode into Del Norte as the sun set. Asked the local police if I could pitch my tent in the city park. They said "no problem". But then added "just for one night, o.k.?"

Translation: We'd rather know where you're going to be and could you please leave tomorrow.

So I hit the local gas station to put hot water in my instant dehydrated meal, which saves camp fuel and avoids violating any rules about fires in the park. And to be a good citizen I purchased a Starbucks iced coffee to mix with my whiskey later that night.

Spent the night listening to all the dogs in town bark at each other.

Oh, and the picture of the dehyrated food is one of my new concoctions. Add 1 bag of rice and chicken to one bag of eggs and bacon, dash with some "slap-ya-mamma" cajun spice (shipped from home) and you get something that tastes like pad-thai.

No comments: