Wednesday, September 24, 2008

September 23rd. Togatee Lodge to Whiskey River Campground




Started this morning with a pretty easy 1200' climb over Togatee pass. Then was greeted with the most excellent descent of the trip. 3000' of downhill over a 10 mile stretch of pavement with a 30mph tail wind. Unbelieveable.

Of course that kind of fun comes with a price. That afternoon I had to climb back over Union pass 9200' which my map failed to tell me is preceded by a 9600' top out and 10 miles of riding above the treeline in the wind. Holy crap it's cold and windy in Wyoming!! And shouldn't the pass be the highest point? False advertising.

Anyway....my afternoon was spent in a mad dash to get off the 9000' plateau before sunset. I barely managed to descend into the Whiskey River campground (8000') prior to dark. Overnight low. 22 degrees. Fortunately, I got my fire ready prior to packing in for the night. So I could rush over and start it up first thing.

Unfortunately, I injured myself a bit the next morning. But that's tomorrow.

No comments: