Monday, September 15, 2008

September 14th-Ovando to Helena


A hot shower to get ready for the 32 degreee morning and off I go. I made breakfast in the room this morning party to get a faster start, but mainly because I'm food heavy after picking up my package yesterday and wanted to eat down my load a bit.

Finished the 2500' climb over the continental divide this morning by 10 am. Then had a fast 10 mile descent (easy Scott) down into the valley. I'm glad I switched to disc brakes prior to departure after that downhill. With 30lbs of pack load on a 30 lb. bike, the brakes can get plenty hot on a 30 minute descent. I won't bore you with the details of heat transfer on disc vs. cantilever brakes, but let's just say you don't want your rim/tire/tube overheating on a mountain descent.

After rolling into Helena in the afternoon and finding that the campsite and 3 hotels were booked up, I took the advice of the salesman at the local gear shop and slept in dump gulch. The name the locals give to the ditch at the edge of town where everyone dumps their trash. (Really not as bad as it sounds).

The good news is that I wasn't joined by any local homeless or stoner kids. Of which there seemed to be plenty in town. GET A JOB YOU SLACKERS!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Spoken like a true unemployeed and homeless MBA!