Friday, September 19, 2008

September 17th-Butte to Wise River




After grabbing a sausage egg and cheese croissant and an order of cini minis from Burger King, I rode south out of Butte toward the town of Wise River.

The day started with a climb to 7300' over a forestry access road and then a descent down to the highway. The rest of the day was an easy cruise following along the Wise River to the town of Wise River.

The river is wide and shallow and filled with black rocks that give it a unique look.

I made Wise River a bit earlier than expected, so after grabbing my food drop at the post office, I decided to ride up the Canyon and stay at a campground rather than in town.

I met a nice couple from a couple Valley's over. We discussed politics and the fringe Wackos in Montana.

He mentioned that he was at a cafe in Montana last week where the locals remarked "If that Obama guy gets elected, he won't survive long". Hmmm. Brought to you by the region that gave us the unibomber.

But honesty, 99% of Montanan's are great people. But there is a fringe of derelicts who move out here to plot their next revolution. Or just shoot stuff.

So after drinking my neighbor's beers and eating some of their food (they insisted).

It was off to sleep early for what would turn out to be my longest ride to date.

No comments: