Sunday, September 14, 2008

September 11th




The next morning I hit the post office to grab my package (that's what she said) and caught up to Stein a few miles in. We passed two town fire departments with fireman standing in the parking lot with an American Flag staring off into space.

In the second town, I had to ask. "What's up with all the flag holding?" September 11th, they replied. Evidently all the towns in the area have someone man a flag for the entire day. Very cool.

Stein and I had a wicked 70 mile day over some brutal climbs. But stayed at a picturesque campsite at Holland Lake Montana. After a dunk in the lake we discussed buddist philosophy and Stein recommended some classes for Buddism and also for meditation in Nepal. He is actually using the GDR ride as practice for a 3500 mile bike ride across Nepal. At like 15,000 ft. elevation. Holy Crap.

He's also taken a land route through the Bolivian desert from Peru to Argentina, so I may use that strategy for my trip next year.

1 comment:

RedMakemba said...

Who knew a bike could double as a cutting board?