Sunday, August 10, 2008

First GPS test track successful

Take a look at the "where is Scott" link at the top of the page. I took the tracker out this morning on my ride to Mt. Baldy south of Spearfish, SD. The unit is supposed to send a signal every 10 minutes. Looks like it was sucessful almost 70% of the time. I was out for 4.5 hours which should have been 27 hits. But it looks like I got about 20. Not great, but better than I was hoping for given some of the reviews of the product.

The other nice thing about the SPOT transmitter is that it has a 911 feature which will allow me to transmit a distress signal in the event of an emergency. It also comes with an international extraction policy (probably need to read the fine print on this) which will be nice when I'm in South America early next year.

1 comment:

RedMakemba said...

An emergency like a BEAR ATTACK?