Friday, February 6, 2009

February 5th and 6th-Potosi, Bolivia

I spent yesterday wandering around town and getting my blog updated. Also grabbed a seat on the night bus to Tarija for tonight. Full recline sleeper for $11. 12 hour bus ride.

Tarija is the last major city before I hit the Argentine border.

I had planned to head north to Sucre, but I´m really enjoying Potosi. Potosi is the highest city of it´s size in the world. The elevation is over 4000m or 13,000 feet.

It used to be one of the wealthiest cities in the world a hundred years or so ago when the silver mine was still producing silver. So it has very ornate buildings that are crumbling.

So you can look back in time and imagine the prosperity and culture that once existed. But now it has slipped backwards toward the poverty that is typical in other Bolivian cities.

An example is my $3 per night hotel which has terra cotta roofing which has deteriorated and is now being gradually replaced by tin. See pic on Feb 3rd post.

No comments: